Early Morning Rains

Last Day in Accra

June 3, 2015

This is the last day in Ghana, but it almost wasn’t. We got up and had some breakfast then headed to a local market in Accra called Makola Market. We were looking for some fabric to bring back home. I had some hopes that if we found stuff there, we wouldn’t have to go all the way out to the mall, but alas, that didn’t happen. On the plus side, we did find a Methodist book store on the way back to the van where I was able to get a couple of kids things for the boys. The store not only had books for church, it also had school books for elementary to high school too.

We then went out to the mall to get some more fabric that was seen there. Ben and I got coffee and hung out watching the Ghanians deal with the escalator. Even Dela gave it a try, he was so proud coming back down that he handled it alright.

After that we went back to the hotel. Ben, Katelyn and Leigh went to check out a potential site for the next trip and I bummed around relaxing. Around 4, our last meal arrived and we got to meet the cook. A tasty meal of wache and plantains was provided and we all filled up. It was then time to pack up and get ready to head out around 6. Just before, it started to downpour pretty good, so we had to get the van loaded up in the rain.

Then the adventure truly started as we ran into some nasty traffic right away. The sun was setting and the rain got worse and worse. Just around two and a half hours later, we got to the airport, which was 6 miles away from the hotel. It was just a crazy, stressful drive, but Daniel handled it well. After check-in, we got through security, bought a couple last minute things and then waited at the gate. It was a this point we could tell the downpour had continued the entire time. We then had the power for the airport go out for a minute and started to notice that the time to board had well past.

We finally found out that the flight was delayed due to the weather, specifically that there was water at the bottom of the stairs to get to the tarmac. Eventually that got cleaned up and we were able to board, just about an hour late. Luckily, the pilot was able to gain most of that back in the air and we made the rest of our flights no problem.